Thursday, December 21, 2006

Bombs Away! Sort of...

It was a busy day at the Pole yesterday with high volumes of air traffic. The usual C-130 flights, and then a British Twin Otter and our contracted Twin Otter and Basler:
Then last night a C-17 did its first ever South Pole airdrop:

A ton of people went out to watch it, and it was pretty awesome. They dropped 4 huge pallets of food for the winter which will save them five C-130 trips and ensures that I get Cocopuffs this July:

Everything went flawlessly and afterwards, the plane hauled it down our runway, tipped it's wings and circled round back to McMurdo:

Here's a picture of it over the 10m Telescope Project:


I get a bit of a short week, and will go back to McMurdo tomorrow afternoon. We'll see how much I sleep while I'm there, but I certainly have a ton of catching up to do. The job is a great one, and I'm learning a lot but hours are miserable and I don't have much time to do what I'd like to.

No comments: