Friday, December 15, 2006

New Girl

Ok, so I live at the South Pole now and am starting from scratch. It's going to be a while til I get used to this. I left McMurdo at 8:30am, and Andrea had already talked to the flight crew, so before I even got off the shuttle they had made arrangements for me to sit up in the cockpit. Since I hadn't slept the night before I was hoping I could stay awake. Take off was pretty great and they gave me chocolate and made me up some coffee. Flew over White Island but then it was pretty cloudy and the mountains weren't coming out so I went to the back and slept until landing. Here is my flight attendant who took care of me:

And my last view of Obhill out the window:


I briefly walked around with my boss of sorts and then took a nap until dinner. I was starving even though I had just eaten a huge lunch. I was going to clean and organize my tiny room, but instead just pushed everything to one side of my bed and slept until 4:00am this morning. I slept without a window shade which was very disorienting. I have a 4:30am meeting every morning, so I'm writing this at 7:00am and no one is even working yet, but I feel like my day is half over.

I'm off to tour the "Ice Cube" project and drill sites. Internet is meager around here, but I'll try to write and post pictures later.

No comments: