Thursday, March 15, 2007

I'm getting a little snap happy now that the sun is getting low. Only about a week to go!
This is the view from my office window. Anytime I forget I am at the South Pole, I look out here and am reminded again:


Last weekend we had a emergency drill out at the Ice Cube Lab about a 1/2 mile from station. I didn't do much for the drill because it was off site. If we have an emergency in the station, then I report to the power plant to monitor things there if there is a fire or a spill or what not. Here is the trauma team taking in Sven on a stretcher:

A few pictures from around station. The front of the garage and shops archway:

The Old Dome. The guys are doing demolition of the buildings inside of it this winter, and supposedly at some point, the whole thing will be torn down:

The ARO building is in the 'Clean Air Sector' and they take atmospheric data and samples:

Antennas near the ARO building:

Someone walking back from ARO to the station:

Ice Cube Lab where they monitor neutrinos from deep drill holes scattered through out the area. Today I was out there and got to drive a snowmobile back and it was fantastic. The sun is so low, the station is covered in fog (from the power plant exhaust) and it's eerie as ever. A beautiful time of year:

On Saturday night we had a wine tasting party to try the Australian red wines we carted up the stairs two weeks ago. It was pretty classy since we decked out the galley, the hor's devours people made were delicious and everyone showed up dressed for the occasion. Kari, Laura, Katie:

Some guys were even sporting ties, including two of our favorite foreigners, Sven and Robert:

No comments: