Catch Up
I spent this week bumping into walls and saying things backwards. I don't know what was going on. Probably a combination of lack of sleep and way too much coffee. But the last two weeks have flown by so fast and we've got 2 days off again!
New things to do are still cropping up though. We've been doing a little '300 club practice'. Sitting in the sauna and then seeing how long we can last out on the porch. 3:30 is all I can handle so far, but it's been so windy and that makes such a huge difference. My calves are always the first to start freezing. Which reminds me that there have been a lot of frostbite around station lately: noses, necks, cheeks, fingers, and even someone's stomach (don't ask, don't tell). I froze a bit of my toe walking to Cryo in regular shoes, but that's all so far. It's dark as ever, but the temperature is actual up the last week, since it was flirting with -100F last week.
We played some ultimate frisbee in the gym. This was much funner than expected and quite active, but we played on a Friday night, and most people save their shower for Saturday...
Also had a women's night of poker for anyone who wanted to learn, taught by BFK (Big "Friendly" Kevin). There was record amounts of estrogen in the "2.0 Smoking Facility". We even played with pink cards.
I'm into the movie groove lately. I watched 3 movies last Sunday with some other people, and I have a DVD player in my room now and I'm hooked on the "Arrested Development" series. I'm trying not to get too lazy, but did take 5 days off of working out.
Another two day weekend is finally up next. We have a Search and Rescue Drill tomorrow after lunch where someone will get "lost" outside and we have to get organized and go look for them. We've got 45 minutes to track them down. I accidently spilled the beans about who it was at lunch today, but I think most people still don't know. And then it's off to the races on Saturday... the BF5K that is, a strange mix of a 5k run, the station hallways, costumes, and in usual South Pole style, a lot of drinking. Basically a bunch of people are running 18 laps down the hall either individually or on a team and everyone who participates must have a sponser who will drink a "beverage of choice" every three laps they complete, and everyone must wear a costume. It seems like some creative ideas are coming. I love races, so I'm running alone and trying to do it under 30 minutes. (I'd shoot for less, but there are 36 flights of stairs involved as well and we're at 11,000ft pressure). My sponser is Michael, one of the cooks, and he should have no trouble 'keeping up with me'. Don't worry, pictures to follow on this one.
Ahh yes, and a happy, happy birthday today to my little sis! Here is a picture of her eating cat in China:
No comments:
Post a Comment