Sunday, November 18, 2007

It's Not THAT Burnt....

I've finally had a chance for a little update on my travels. I got stuck in McMurdo for an extra two days as well, so I had to push back my Costa Rica ticket once more and hope for the best. I spent Sunday in Christchurch and left Monday afternoon after doing multiple errands that morning and running to the airport with a stress-attack.
View from the 11th floor of my hotel. I was actually staying on the other side of the floor, which was a sweet view at night of the whole city:

Street view in Christchurch:

I was then in for a marathon flight plan. I flew to LA overnight, then spent all of Monday at LAX where I took a red-eye to Miami and then to San Jose that morning. I took a taxi to the bus stop in the city, and onto a 4 hour bus ride to Liberia. I rolled in after dark and was getting a bit nervous walking around loaded with luggage, and when I came into the internet store, the rendevous point, Brian wasn't there and I was already late, but he walked in the door just after and finally the weight of travelling was off my shoulders, since I could be chauffered by someone familiar and would not be sleeping in a car/bus/plane/terminal for awhile.

Who cares you say? You want to hear about what life is like after being out of the Pole? I could hardly have told you until I came here, since I was rushing around from spot to spot, getting things organized and always trying to beat the clock for the first week. But, the best it gets is when you wake up at 7:00am in Playa Grande, Costa Rica with sun pouring through the windows, and roll over not to open your eyes again until 2:00pm. Not a bad first day. The waves break just in front of the house and it's great surfing at high tide. And although sleeping has been great, floating on a surfboard and watching the sun set (and it doesn't mess around with setting when you are on the equator) and the waves glowing orange and pink has been amazing. We were staying with several of Brian's friends from College Station, TX but they all left today. We had plans of heading to the east coast, but decided to stay on the peninsula since it had great remote beaches and we've enjoyed the last week so much. I might get some pictures one of these days. Maybe when this burn fades to a tan...

No comments: