Saturday, November 18, 2006

Talk of the Town


Ok, I know that I have to update you all on my South Pole trip, which was awesome, but I'll do that later this weekend. For now, I get to tell you that 6 EMPEROR PENGUINS roamed through the Ice Runway today. Who knows where they were going, but they waddled and paddled their way through the runway buildings and then down the runway. The firefighters had to get them off of the runway itself, since a C-17 came was coming at noon today, and by the time Mike and I got wind of it at work and started walking down it was apparent that they were way too far out and we didn't have'runway clearance' anyway so we couldn't go out to see them. So, we walked back to town and I had to take pictures of a building on the far side of town anyway, so I stayed around there. Seconds later, I got picked up by the surveyor from our office who has been here for quite sometime and works on the runway often. So, he took me and Tina down there, was cleared to go down the runway (those peguins were really making some time!) and we got 5 minutes to check them out before we had to get off the runway. So, they weren't real close and they were headed in the opposite direction, but who cares, I saw them!!!

I want to get closer to them since they are actually quite large birds (3ft tall) but for now it will do! Good start to the weekend! Then on the way back to town we saw this baby seal. I know, it looks more like road kill than a pup, and its pretty much on its death bed since it is real thin and by iself, but it was some more 'life' than what I've seen lately!

No comments: