Saturday, October 28, 2006

Get Outta Town

So, last Friday the Polies were supposed to fly into Pole to open up the summer season, and take back the first batch of winterovers. (Keep in mind they've been down at the Pole since the middle of February and are crazy by now.) Because of bad visibility and mechanical problems and record low temperatures (the planes only fly if it is above -50C/-58F), all of them are still here! There are so many of them and now they are holding back people in New Zealand because there isn't room for them and there aren't flights for them. This is taxing our dining hall (I've heard McMurdo people make threats if they aren't out by Wednesday (aka "Cookie Day") because we ran out of cookies this week, and our bandwidth (we just got an email today saying that we aren't allowed to download music or stream media off the internet b/c we are reaching 100% capacity). It's the first time in 10 years that the Polies are able to join us for the Halloween Party. I'm curious to see what kind of jaded costumes they come up with. Here is a picture of the three of the Hercs (two of which are 'broken' right now) that they take to Pole:

In other news, I bit the bullet and told the director that I was interested in wintering this year. He said the positions are too tight in McMurdo this year, and wondered if I've thought about working at the South Pole Station. Then my boss and I talked about it for awhile yesterday and he is confident that with good support from the Denver office I could learn what I need to know. However, he feels like this year is too soon and will keep me in mind for next season. But, that is what he said when I interviewed for my job last year, and now I'm in Antarctica! So, we'll see, but for now I'm planning on coming off the Ice in February.
Speaking of work, here is a picture of Andrea at her job. Boy is she good:

No comments: